Possible library numbering problem

Linux/Unix doesn't get DLL Hell, but only when libraries are versioned
properly.  Ultimately, the problem I ran into was my fault, but there's
a possibility that it could have been prevented.

I just upgraded to Helix Gnome 1.2 (excellent installer, by the way).
When I started GNOME the first time, tasklist_applet and
deskguide_applet kept crashing.  Unfortunately, panel (or is it
gnome-session?) doesn't just give up at this point, it repeatedly tries
the UI with GNOME crash windows and if sound is enabled queues up a big
long list of crash sounds.  Very annoying, especially since it happened
to me probably 20 times as I debugged the problem.

I eventually figured out that I had an old version of
libpanel_applet.so.0 in /usr/local/lib, which is ahead of /usr/lib in my
/etc/ld.so.conf file.  This older version was apparently incompatible
with the *_applets, causing them to crash.

Obviously I shouldn't have old compiled-from-source shared objects
laying around when also trying to use binary RPMs.  However, one wonders
why, if libpanel_applet.so interface's semantics have changed, it hasn't
gotten a new version number.

If we can't fix that, we should at least fix the
relaunch-until-it-succeeds problem.  If it fails to launch the first
time, it isn't likely to ever succeed without human intervention.
--
= Warren -- ICBM Address: 36.8274040 N, 108.0204086 W, alt. 1714m