Re: canvas event propagation

IMHO The Right Way (TM) is to modify slightly GnomeCanvas code, so if no
item is interested in event, you can pick it from canvas root group. So
you can intall rubberbanding handler to root, and point-and-click handlers
to ordinary items.
Federico promised to add this feature, but I am not sure about the current
state. You can look at canvas-cleanup branch of gnome-libs, to see, what
new directions are being taken.
Meanwhile, if you need rubberbanding, you can recycle gnome-canvas-acetate
item, found at least in gill and sodipodi. This is basically infinite
invisible item, which is used exactly for that purpose.

Regards,
Lauris