titeInhibit ignored by gnome-terminal ?

I have

  XTerm.VT100.titeInhibit:  true

in my .Xdefaults. Nonetheless, while xterm pays attention to this,
gnome-terminal doesn't. (I'm using gnome-terminal 1.1.5.)

(Background FYI: titeInhibit controls whether apps such as less, more,
vi, mutt, and so forth that ask to use the xterm's alternate screen
actually flip to that screen or not. More practically, this means it
controls whether quitting vi, less, etc. leaves you looking at what
you were looking at a moment ago or what you were looking at before
you started that app.)

Tia for any pointers.

--
 Jeff Abrahamson