Re: mysterious disk access every 5 or 10 seconds

>  After I log in
> to gnome desktop, without doing anything else, the
> disk LED flashes every 5 or 10 (not 5 to 10, it is
> either 5 or 10) seconds.

I had the same problem.  I was determined to fix it because the
noise from my 7200 RPM drive led to trouble falling asleep.  I
determined that it was netscape when it was on a page with an
animated GIF (ad banners and the ilk).  Now, when I log off of my
dialup account, I make sure that I leave netscape on a page with
static images, or shutdown netscape altogether.

You probably would have figured out something so obvious by now.
Try searching for applications that have animated figures/icons or
would have some other reason to swap pixmap data in and out of
display buffers.

Good luck.

Regards,

Sourav Mandal

Sourav K. Mandal

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Physics
http://web.mit.edu/smandal/www/

"In enforcing a truth we need severity rather than
efflorescence of language. We must be simple,
precise, terse."

                      -- Edgar Allan Poe,
                        "The Poetic Principle"