some questions

I have two questions.  First one is about gnome on CVS.
The second question is about some CVS behaviour.

What is the relationship between gnome CVS and the stable
sources?  I've assumed that the stable sources are merely
snapshots out of the CVS tree when it becomes stable at
various points.  Is this true?  If not how does the development process
work.

The second is:  What does it mean when CVS says:
file xxx is no longer pertinent.  Does it mean I need to
manually delete that file or does CVS do it?  I want
CVS to get rid of the old junk automagically if possible.

I believe I asked a variation of the first question a while
back.  But I can't remember if I got an answer.  Sorry,
if it's a repeat.

Fred