Menu editor problem

Hi there,

I recently compiled and installed Gnome, from the latest sources on
www.gnome.org.  It looks and works great, except for one problem:

The menu editor won't run.  When I try running it from the main menu
(Settings -> Menu editor), it barfs.  The following message is printed
to the terminal:

	"unable to retrieve GNOME installation directory"

Nothing else, and no further information.  This happens both as root,
and as a regular user.

Can you please advise me?  What am I doing wrong?  Do I have to set some
environment variable, stating where Gnome resides?  If so, where can I
find out about that?

Thanks in advance,
David Nelson

DETAILS:

SuSE 6.2 intel version.  Downloaded source tarballs from
http://www.gnome.org/start/gnometar-new.phtml this week, and installed.
Installed in the order suggested by the Gnome FAQ file.  No custom
options specified: a straight "./configure, make, make install"
installation.

One problem I encountered which may or may not be relevant is as
follows:  There seemed to be a discrepancy between the different
packages, as to where things were supposed to be.  The default
installation put a lot of stuff in "/usr/local/share/gnome", including
the help files, apps, etc.  Gnome went looking for these things in
"/opt/gnome/share/gnome", and couldn't find them.  So I made a symbolic
link pointing "/opt/gnome/share/gnome" towards "/usr/local/share/gnome",
then the help files and the main menu seemed to work.

For further details, please contact me.