info on $HOME/.gnome configuration files Please ?

I didn't find any answer to these questions
(faq, mailing list, system help, man)

1) where I can find information on users's config gnome files format
( the files that are in $HOME/.gnome* )

2) especially, where I can find information on
$HOME/.gnome/panel.d/default files

3) what are the other possibilities, I can find under
$HOME/.gnome/panel.d ?
Is it related to $LANG ?
the default is the default of what ?

4) If you create icons in your panel under a given $LANG (say en_US) and
you change it to an other (say fr), the next time you log in, you loose
every launcher icon created under en_US.
Someone has already solved this problem ?

to the developpers :
5) why some parameters in file under $HOME/.gnome/panel.d refer to
the absolute path of the home directory ? It's stupid. Use the $HOME
variable !!!

I will enjoy if someone can say me where I can find decent man pages
on gnome (mainly interested in section 4 and 8)

I will enjoy for any information on this subject.
thank you for any help or pointer

JRC

THE HEART OF MY PROBLEM.
I have to install different given environnement for 300 users depending
on the group they are working in.
For each group, I have a template user and I generate an environnement
under this user. and the idea was to copy this environnement under the
real
user $HOME/.gnome.
When I log in under a real user, many icons are missing.
I notice that under the home directory, many informations are stored
using the absolute path of the user's home directory. (I made a script
to update it depending of the user).
I notice that the LANG variable is important for some parameters in
these files.
It seems that at the first problem, the icon is not loaded, and that a
default
is never taken. (for instance, if the LANG variable is different from
the one
used to create the launcher)

using gnome 1.0.53, solaris 5.6 on sparc
--
Nur der kleine Geist hält Ordnung, das Genie beherrscht das Chaos.
Seuls les petits esprits aiment l'ordre, le génie maitrîse le chaos.