Re: Re[2]: gtkhtml

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 09:55:58 +0200, Daniel Veillard said:

>  > Then maybe the current gtkhtml should be renamed to gnomehtml and
>  > change the cschtml to gtkhtml. gnomehtml should have more funtions
>  for
>  > gnome and evolution for sure. But make it gnomehtml, please.
>
>    This officialize the fork. In most cases a fork is a lost of time
>  and
>  efforts, this is not always true, eg. egcs/gcc or even gtkhtml itself
>  when the original code base was extracted from KDE, but in both cases
>  the fork did make sense due to lack of developement/need for more
>  features/
>  very distinct environment.
>
>    The hardest part of the gtkhtml work and hence the cost of
>  maintenance
>  of that codebase is:
>     - doing a proper rendering
>     - having editing functionnalities
>
>    As far as I understand those two points were not what led to the
>  fork,
>  i.e. both branches will have to maintain complicated code (cschtml
>  author
>  intent seems to keep editing, and this does have a serious performance
>  impact).
>    Recheck my mail, I didn't tried to argue whether the widget should
>  be
>  gnome or gtk, I did argue against the validity of the testing and
>  against
>  doing a fork...
>
>    I assume you expect to be a cschtml user, right. Can you tell me
>  which app you're using where you're sure you don't want to print the
>  rendering of the HTML input ? I really need to understand why you
>  don't
>  need it. If you do, then you will need a printing component sooner or
>  later in cschtml, one more piece of code to maintain independantly.

I agree that a fork is less than an ideal solution to the problem.  If
Ettore is willing, I am definately interested in helping turn GtkHTML
into a true Gtk widget, and moving what little GNOME dependance there is
into a seperate "Wrapper" module.  I would rather not have to deal with
both CscHTML and CSCMail, if I can avoid it.  Working together is the
most efficient use of our resources.

If, however, we cannot work together, I do plan on continuing to add
features to CscHTML.  Most recently, I added support for the <font
face=fontname> tag, as well as methods to allow the setting of a default
font. (csc_html_set_default_font_face(), csc_html_get_default_font_face()
and csc_html_allow_font_switch())  A user sent me a patch for
set_default_font_face_fixed() and I have applied that.	Another user sent
me Python bindings, and I have bundled them with my distribution.  I plan
on looking at adding set_default_font_size() over the weekend, and moving
away from the hard coded font sizes currently used in *HTML.

If we where to join forces, I could bring these improvements into GtkHTML
instead.  I do admit, my focus would be on adding support for tags that
GtkHTML does not currently support (imagemaps, frames, etc)  These
features may not be usefull for a widget designed only to display HTML
mail, but if GtkHTML is truely intended to be MORE than that, I would
think my contributions would be worthwhile.

It's really up to Ettore (in my mind)  I am ok either way.  I prefer to
work WITH the team, but if this is not possible, I will continue to
develop CscHTML alongside CSCMail, and both projects will be the best I
can make them.

-Steve
Steve Kordik					      stevek@voila.net
System Administrator				      Tel 212.332.5045
VOILA - France Telecom North America		      Fax 212.332.2362
1270 Avenue of the Americas			New York, NY 10020 USA
Customized Search Engines for your web site at: http://voilasearch.com