Re: [Re: gtkhtml]

On 29 Jun 2000 11:01:52 -0400, Miguel de Icaza said:

>  So are you going to remove support for GdkPixbuf which also originated
>  in GNOME?

gdk-pixbuf is being integrated into Gtk (where it belongs) as of version
1.4...

>  I do not think we have ignored suggestions from any developers.
>  Specially, Ettore points out that he could not find a single mail from
>  you with a patch to integrate into GtkHTML.

So only suggestions in the form of patches are acceptable?  Around 6
months ago I sent several e-mails to Ettore regarding the GNOME
dependancies, as well as inquiring about several bugs in the rendering
and form submission code.  (Neither of which have been fixed yet, but I
am working on fixing them in CscHTML)

I did not bother to submit a patch to allow GtkHTML to be compiled
without GNOME dependance for three reasons:

I do not believe that any effort would be made to make sure that future
additions to GtkHTML would continue to work without GNOME dependancies
(so the patch would be short lived at best)

I think that such a patch would cause confusion amongst end users.  For
example:  User A does not have GNOME.  He downloads and installs GtkHTML
which compiles fine disabling the GNOME specific bits.	He proceeds to
use it with CSCMail.  Later, this user decides to try out Evolution.  So
he gets GNOME and so forth, and installs Evolution.  Uhoh, It doesn't
work, cause his GtkHTML was not compiled with the correct GNOME
dependancies.  I think it is better to have two libraries.  One GNOME,
one without.  (of course, best of all would be to have one library, and
one wrapper.  the library is not GNOME specific, and the wrapper adds the
GNOME features to the lib... this would be quite easy to do with the
current GtkHTML code base)

Having been informed that fixing rendering issues with GtkHTML was no
longer a priority (since it is "good enough" to view e-mail for
Evolution) I knew that the only way to get these things fixed would be to
do them myself.

Hence:	A fork

-CZ
Steve Kordik					      stevek@voila.net
System Administrator				      Tel 212.332.5045
VOILA - France Telecom North America		      Fax 212.332.2362
1270 Avenue of the Americas			New York, NY 10020 USA
Customized Search Engines for your web site at: http://voilasearch.com