RE: Gnome Website slogan

> On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 11:23:40AM -0400, Poletti, Don wrote:
>
> > Ahh a voice of reason.
>
> Loban argued that "computing made easy" is OK in part because
> hardly any
> company's slogan is 100% truthful.  Are you sure you want to agree to
> that?

Actually yes. There is a legal term for this called "puffery" although
I may be spelling it incorrectly. Basally its not false advertising
to say thing like "We have the lowest prices anywhere!!!". Obviously
the company can't know for sure that some store in china doesn't have
a lower price, this is not false advertising its perfectly
legal under "puffery". The same applies to slogans. Perhaps
you would be more comortable if he said 100% accurate. Since there
no way to completely discribe GNOME in one sentence.

> > And GNOME isn't about makeing GNU easy. We use GNU software
> but nobody
> > uses GNU per se. plus GNOME is not limited to GNU.
>
> That's funny, I thought GNOME was part of the GNU Project.

Yes it is but I don't contribute to the GNOME project (no time
right now). Sorry this is really just argueing over symatics
GNU by itself doesn't really mean anything (GNU = GNU is not unix)
so the proposed slogan becomes...

GNU made easy => (GNU is not unix) made easy.

better would have been

GNU software made easy