Re: command line rp3

> > > I would like to know if there's any way of running the RedHat
> > > PPP dialer applet
> > > from the command line. I like small panels, and this applet
> > > is the only one that won't shrink when I make the panel small.
> > > Maybe it is possible to call wvdial directly? Ideally I
> > > should be able to do it
> > > without being root.
>
> wvdial <name of connection>
>
> e.g wvdial BtInternet
>
> You do have to be root though. It's not such a big problem. Use sudo or
> something.

Or, you can use ifup. If you run 6.1 there's a PPP RPM update you
should install to avoid a "subtle" bug that caused the first
connection attempt to always abort and redial (successfully though,
and it only happens with ifup for some wierd reason). I'm not sure if
that's fixed in stock RH6.2 or if you need an update there also. One
good thing about ifup though, it utilizes a wrapper and so does not
have the difficulty that the wvdial that came with redhat appears to
have, i.e. not being able to open the serial interface, even with the
setuid bit set. (Sudo works of course.) wvdial also requires one to
wait until the connection is complete before switching text-mode
terminals, a.k.a. consoles, and it will not work from a launcher icon
except within it's own xterm or unless you use `wvdial > /dev/null
2>&1' as the launch command. I made two launcher buttons, one for ifup
and ifdown, on my panel that I made half-decent icons for. Send me an
email if you would like me to send a copy over, but I don't know if
you'd like the size of them. I guess you could try to scale them down
with gimp or make some small icons.

Erik