Re: How to Start Gnome from init level 3 ? [Mand 7.0]

""cavall_fort" <cavall_fort@wanadoo.es>" wrote:

>     Because I can *Only* start KDE with :
>
>                             # startx <enter>
>
>     In "init" Level 5,  I can choose over some desks perfectly. But I prefer
> start  my box in init Level 3 (like in a text terminal Unix)

I believe that startx will launch "/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc" if you do
not have a "~/.xinitrc".  Put "gnome-session" (no trailing
ampersand, "&") at the end of your personal file, and you should
have Gnome.

Since KDE is Mandrake's default desktop environment, it probably
doesn't have convenient hooks for GNOME; "~/.xinitrc" will hopefully
allow you to activate this manually.

I am guessing a little bit -- I have used Mandrake boxes, but my
personal and lab machines run Red Hat.

Good luck,

Sourav Mandal

Sourav K. Mandal

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Physics
http://web.mit.edu/smandal/www/

"In enforcing a truth we need severity rather than
efflorescence of language. We must be simple,
precise, terse."

                      -- Edgar Allan Poe,
                        "The Poetic Principle"