BadMatch when starting Linux Gtk/Gdk applications on IRIX display

I don't know if this mailing list is the right place to post the
following problem, but I can't think of anywhere else to send it, so
here we go:

When I do a remote login to a RedHat Linux 6.1 host from an 02 running
IRIX 6.5.6f, then start certain Gtk based applications, I get a
"BadMatch" error message. The applications include AbiWord, for  which
the error message is

     Gdk-ERROR **: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)

and the new Gtk-based version of ApplixWare (i.e. release 5.0), which
triggers a similar message, but with serial and request code 1294 and
62, respectively. The applications work fine when started on the local
display or via remote from a different Linux host. Some other Gtk
applications, including gnumeric, do not have this problem.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any idea what might cause it?
- Actually, I suspect it is somehow related to the window-less start-up
box (the one that displays the name of the application along with some
graphics and goes away after a short while), but I may be wrong.

Gtk related packages installed on the Linux host(s) include
gtk+-1.2.8-0_helix_1 gdk-pixbuf-0.8.0-0_helix_1, but I've seen this with
some earlier Gtk releases, too.

Oh, I really like the new version of Applix, by the way. I think someone
was asking for commercial applications supporting GNOME earlier. Well,
here is one...

--
- Toralf