OT -- Abiword doesn't show anti-aliased TrueType fonts even though I am running XFree86 4.0 with TrueType fonts installed and enabled.

Hi,

I know this is off-topic, but I guess there is some slight relevance,
since it constrains the quality of font display in Gnome applications.

I thought that once TrueType fonts were supported by X Windows,
I would get highly-legible font rendering at arbitrary point sizes
due to the the use of anti-aliasing.  My experience seems to indicate
that although I can now display TrueType fonts in the X applications
that allow me to select my TrueType fonts, anti-aliasingis not
happening.

Do any of you know:

	1)  Is there something I need to tweak to get anti-aliasing
	    to work in XFree86 4.0?

	2)  If anti-aliasing still isn't supported in XFree86,
	    when will it become supported?

	3)  If there is no plan to implement anti-aliasing support
	    in XFree86, is there a plan to support anti-aliased
	    fonts within the Gnome environment?

On a related topic, how is the support of WYSIWYG coming for
Gnome printing?  From what I read about gnome-print, it sounds
like a lot of effort is going into having a great Gnome printing
engine and UI, but until there is a single engine driving anti-
aliased fonts to both the display and the printer, we won't have
WYSIWYG.  Also, it seems to me that in order to have a really good
user experience, the display engine for anti-aliased fonts ought to
be in XFree86, not in Gnome.  Otherwise, when the shortcoming is
addressed in XFree86, we'd have two basically redundant and possibly
incompatible display rendering engines.

Thanks,
	Miles