Re: make gnome listen on localhost:*

Paul Warren wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Tomas Ogren wrote:
> > On 12 June, 2000 - John Kennedy sent me these 2.2K bytes:
> >
> > >   I happened to nmap myself and noticed that GNOME has a huge number
> > > of open (listening) TCP/IP ports open on my box.  Is there any way to get
> > > it to connect to localhost only instead of listening to all the ports
> > > (and my ethernet port in particular)?  Better yet, no TCP/IP at all
> > > using unix-domain sockets and such?
> >
> > It's already listening to unix domain sockets.. and btw, the N in GNOME
> > is Network.. But anyway:
> > echo 'ORBIIOPIPv4=0' > $prefix/etc/orbitrc
> > echo 'ORBIIOPIPv6=0' >> $prefix/etc/orbitrc
>
> Can I repeat my request for this to become the default behaviour?

So, excuse my ignorance, but by executing the above two line script,
this will cause GNOME to NOT use TCP/IP ports, rather sockets for
communicating?

If this is the case, I would agree that that would be a better default
behavior.
--
Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric@denali.atlnet.com

Microsoft != Innovation