Re: No GNOME Sound Events When in Run-Level 5 (Found Problem!!!)

In message <3941B5CF.62F88130@rochester.rr.com>, "Bruce W. Bigby" writes:

>I found the problem! I started comparing the environments between my
>account, and my wife's account, which didn't work and my son's account
>which did produce sound. I noticed that I explicitly put the following
>in my .bash_profile file:

>DISPLAY="`hostname`:0.0"

>At first, I saw this difference, but thought, what does sound have to do
>with the display so I looked for other clues. Then, I decided, well,
>perhaps esd uses the X protocol and setting DISPLAY like I did might
>cause problems. Heck, my son's account was getting along without the
>explicit setting of the DISPLAY variable, perhaps mine might AND produce
>sound. To my delight, I got rid of the DISPLAY statement and, wallah!
>Sound! Of course, I fixed my wife's account, too.

>I suppose that, if I wanted to set the DISPLAY variable, I should have
>done something like this:

>DISPLAY=localhost.localdomain:0.0

>Would that suffice? I don't feel like testing it now. It's late and my
>wife wants a foot massage; later.  :-)

esound interprets the DISPLAY environment variable in a braindead manner.  See
think Elliott is looking at the problem.

I'm too lazy to go fix the code, but I don't mind complaining about it.  ;-)

John

--
John GOTTS <jgotts@linuxsavvy.com>  http://www.linuxsavvy.com/staff/jgotts