helix gnome install problem

Ok..I wanted to make the panel smaller, people were telling me to right
click..blah blah blah... Well there is no way to resize it on my system.  I am using
redhat 6.2 and apparently an older version of gnome.  So someone suggested I get
the new version of gnome "helix gnome"  So I tried but I keep getting errors with
the install program.  I can connect, I get all the rpms and then the program
disappears??  Is there an easier way to get helix gnome or something close??