Re: Gnome and touchpad

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Haris Siakalis wrote:

> Hello,
> I am using mandrake 7.0 Gnomehelix1.2 and acer travelmate 507t portable
> computer.
> Everything went ok during installation including the touch pad mouse,
> but when i go in the x-windows i cannot use the touchpad. the mouse
> pointer jumps up and down the scvreen like mad with the first touch. Are
> there
> any special installation instructions? I have chosen during
> installation a generic ps/2 mouse type.
>
> Thanks

Hi,

it may be the mouse definition is messed up in the XF86Config file - I
dual boot between Windows and Linux - and the mouse is switch configurable
to either 'Microsoft' or 'Mousesytems'. I use the latter to get 'real'
three button use out of it under X. However, if I have forgotten to switch
back and bring up linux with the mouse set for 'Microsoft', then all goes
haywire with the mouse jumping all over the screen when I start to move
it.

If you have the mouse available through the regular console and that works
OK, check to see what the setting in /etc/sysconfig/mouse is. If you do
not, try mouseconfig - or maybe better for Mandrake, mousedrake. If you
get a console mouse cursor for a particular type of mouse, then make sure
that you set the same mouse type under XFree86 as you now have in
/etc/sysconfig/mouse. (In fact, I think mouseconfig will just alter the
/etc/sysconfig/mouse file whereas mousedrake may well alter the XF86Config
file too.

- The first time I had my machine set up I had set the console mouse to
'microsoft' and the X mouse to 'mousesystem' so that was all over the
place..

Steve