Re: bad performance

Chad Cunningham <ccunning@hooloovoo.mps.ohio-state.edu> writes:
> Yes, top doesn't show anything interesting and of course it's hard to get
> an idea of what's happening during the few seconds the machine hangs... I
> was tempted to blame X initially, but I fail to see how it could be the
> fault of the X server when KDE, WindowMaker, FVRM, et al run fine and I
> only have this problem with gnome... No exaggerating here, WindowMaker and
> KDE are very very fast, no problems whatsoever, but gnome repeatedly
> hangs...

Well, be precise - GNOME doesn't hang, the X server hangs while you
are running GNOME. Some sort of interaction.

I have no idea what it might be, since no one else has reported this
and I can't reproduce it. Have you changed any settings? Maybe try
rebooting the machine, maybe it has itself in a weird state? Don't
know.

Havoc