Re: debian distro and helix gnome

On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 10:26:59PM +0000,
Andrew Atkinson <andrew@brighton-rock.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> I've been happily using gnome on my modified RH5.2 system for
> quite a while now but I'm looking to upgrade to a new distro
> and would like to try debian.

I agree, going from Red Hat to Debian is definitely an upgrade.

> However, if I want to purchase debian on CD (say from
> www.linuxemporium.co.uk) I find I can buy 2.1 with a note to
> say that 2.2 is iminent _but_ helix has packaged gnome for 2.3.

I would suggest that you run unstable (that's really a misnomer;
i've been running unstable since i first started using Debian,
and i've never had any problems; during a period where breakage
is going on, i just refrain from updating), but i see that you
are in the UK, where i believe you have to pay by the minute for
local phone calls, making the constant downloading  impractical.

If you can't stick with unstable, you'd better wait for 2.2
rather than getting the current stale release. By the time 2.2 is
out, i'm sure Helix will have packages ready for it.

--
Eric Gillespie, Jr. <*> epg@pobox.com

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not
 necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
 going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as
 they fly overhead."
 --RFC 1925

PGP signature