not possible to turn off sound events in gnome 1.2?

I installed helixcode 1.2 gnome and now I keep hearing sound events when
I create directories. I hate it. But in the gnome control
panel/multimedia section,it will not let me unckeck the "sound events"
button. And enable sound server at startup is not checked.  What's up
with that?  I use the speakers to play cds or hear sounds from games,
not gnome.
--
Paul E. Johnson        			email: pauljohn@ukans.edu
Dept. of Political Science     		http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn