desktop setup, dmesg message

Hi,

I am new to gnome. I installed gnome yesterday. My question is that how
to set gnome up, so that it does not automatically mount my drivers,
such cdrom, my
dos partition, my zip driver. The machine I installed gnome on is a
laptop. So things like
zip driver is not always attached to it.

I have tried to change the /etc/fstab file so all those devices are
noauto. However,
whenever I type, for example, mount /mnt/cdrom, not only cdrom get
mounted,
but all the other devices as well, despite they are specified in fstab
as noauto.

My another question is that when I type dmesg, I got hundreds of
following messages,
VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
.
.
.
VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
.
.

Where are all these messages come from? What are they mean?
and how can I prevent them?

Sincrerely yours,

Tao Sun