Applications cut off at bottom

I just joined this list so forgive me if this question has already been
discussed.

Using either KDE or Gnome, a lot of the applications are cut off
at the bottom when I run them. My monitor is restricted to
640x480. For example, I can't run Netscape because I can't get
at the "Accept" and "Not Accept" buttons on the License screen.
I can't drag it high enough by the title bar. Same problem with
many other programs. Is there a way to resize these application
displays? This is with the Gnome panel at the bottom of
the screen moved off the edge of the screen.

I had a _great_ deal of difficulty getting X to work on my
system, and am _very_ reluctant to solve this size problem by
getting a higher resolution monitor (or is it the video card?) as I'm
afraid X won't work. I currently have to use

Unsupported VGA compatible video card
Generic 640x480 60 Hz. monitor

This is the only pair of choices that will work with startx.
Selecting my real video card gets me errors.

Linux distribution is Mandrake 7.0. I just set up the x system
so am still learning Gnome so I may well be missing
something obvious.

Any ideas on the display size problem? I'll experiment some more
with Gnome while I'm waiting for a response here. Maybe I'll
stumble on the solution.

Ken