Re: RH Gnome Sucks ?

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, you wrote:
> Gary Shears wrote:
>
> > Just out of curiosity,  is this expected to change when LSB (or some cousin
> > thereof) matures?
>
> Well, for something like GNOME, it may not be too much LSB's problem.  For
> example, the issue here is more along the lines of where to put GNOME.
> I believe SuSE prefers /opt/gnome, while all other distros that I've tried
> (which are only 4, mind you) prefer /usr.  Most things like libraries and
> whatnot are handled dynamically by the system.

Forgive my ignorance. I had thought that this was exactly the kind of thing
that LSB was designed to address. I realize it may be (and should be) farther
down the list than libraries and what, but shouldn't there be a standard such
that the desktop environment goes in the same branch of the tree on every
distribution? Mind you, I'm not really complaining. I've only used three
different distributions (SUSE is next in line, I was waiting for the 2.4
kernel, but now they're talking about waiting until next year. Don't think I
can wait that long.) but I've never gotten lost in any of them. It's just kind
of a wish-list item. It also would make it easier for the future cadre of
support techs :) Of maybe I don't really understand LSB.

> And of course package formats, .deb vs. .rpm, but that's why there's
> tarballs.  ~,^  Well, not specifically why, but I can pretend.

Well, yeah, that's obvious. But a standard would also make packaging rpm's
easier, too, if they didn't have to be RH vs SUSE vs Caldera, but that will
probably never go away.

Now, I'll leave the list for gnome stuff, and stop filling your mailbox with my
wishes and pipedreams.

Thanks for your reply, Sean

Gary