Re: removing all panels

>From the Gnome User's Guide:

"At all times, you must have at least one panel; GNOME will not allow you to
remove your only panel."

If you need to prevent your user from running any application other than the
browser, you should probably set up very limited permissions for the
user/group. If your user's home directory is mounted on a seperate partition
you can give them exec permission there, copy the browser to their home
directory, (perhaps create a $HOME/bin directory) and mount the other partitions
with the noexec option. I've never configured a machine like this, so I'm not
certain exactly how problematic it would be. I'm assuming by 'shouldn't have
access to run any other application' you also mean things like 'ls' and 'cd'.
If they do need access to these, you could also copy them locally. Maybe
there's a more experienced sysadmin who can give you a simpler solution.