Re: Problem with gmc

>I know there exist links form foo.so to foo.so.2 (so.2 is the real file,
>.so the link). However , the foo.so.2 file does not exist. It was not
>installed on my system, only the foo.a file exists.

Did you installed by hand or via RPMs? If so, check that the RPM is right,
first getting the RPM package of the existant file (rpm -qf libext2fs.a),
then checking it fully (rpm -V package). After my lastest experiences with
some RPMS, it could be that the RPM is wrong (does not carry all that should
be, or deletes data, or does not run the right install scripts).

For example, Imlib has the following file under /usr/lib (RH distro, using
Helix packages, IIRC):
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root      1050200 May 23 21:19 libImlib.a
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root          679 May 23 21:19 libImlib.la*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           17 Jun 29 01:46 libImlib.so ->
libImlib.so.1.9.8*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           17 Jun 29 01:46 libImlib.so.1 ->
libImlib.so.1.9.8*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       494856 May 23 21:19 libImlib.so.1.9.8*

libImlib.a:        current ar archive
libImlib.la:       English text
libImlib.so:       symbolic link to libImlib.so.1.9.8
libImlib.so.1:     symbolic link to libImlib.so.1.9.8
libImlib.so.1.9.8: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1, not
stripped

You see that two are symlinks, one is a true lib, the "English text" are
instructions for the libtool program, and the ar achive is that, an archive
having the lib data. From some man and info readings, it seem you have to
use libtool & ldconfig to get all right.

If you are installing from source, you should know how to do it, so please
follow all the steps, I doubt any INSTALL is wrong these days. If using
RPMs, I would check it and complain if wrong, or reinstall if you deleted
some files. :]

GSR