Re: can gnome-terminal support chinese?

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 09:38:38PM +0800 or thereabouts, yangbt/LCS/Legend%LEGEND@legend.com.cn wrote:
> My gnome-terminal can't diplay chinese. anybody can help me?
> thanks!

If you have the appropriate font, then gnome-terminal will display
UTF-8.

This is an extract from email from Michael Zucchi suggesting I
added it to the documentation. I have not yet managed to unbugger
my system to the point where I can happily add fonts to test this,
which is why I haven't added it yet.

> From: NotZed <notzed@helixcode.com>
> Subject: UTF-8 support in gnome-terminal. (fwd)
> To: hobbit@aloss.ukuu.org.uk
> Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:13:03 -0400 (EDT)
>
> Basically gnome-terminal is utf8 enabled and has been for oh, i
> dont know, about a whole year now, but nobody seems to have
> even noticed, so i doubt it even really matters.
>
> Anyway, it is always enabled by default, but you need to tell
> it to turn it on, using a 'standard' control code sequence:
>
>  ESC%G
>
> I can't remember how to turn it off, ESC)G or something, i'd have
> to look at the source.  I could probably be smart and get it to
> auto-detect utf-8 input and other input and switch automagically,
> but it doesn't at the moment (its easy to detect invalid utf8,
> so it could probably switch on and off as it happens).
>
> The other thing is you need to get an iso10646 encoded X font
> (and fixed-width at that) for it to display much - XFree 4
> contains some of these, but you can also get them here, as
> well as some utf-8 examples.
>
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs-fonts.html

Telsa