RE: can't login with root or user after 1.2 upgrade

> login screen.  I enter the user name or root and password and it just
> returns me to the login again.  I can get somewhere with failsafe and
> another level but all else fails.

I have had a similar problem every time I update GDM, so I don't bother
unless it's a major fix.

To fix it I restore my previous gdm.conf and the other files I may have
changed.  I usually make a backup of the whole gdm directory befor running
the gdm update.  I think the main problem is the <prefix>/gdm/Init/Default
file...

This is one of my pet hates with the whole RPM system, nearly every RPM
overwrites your previous config files with the new defaults, though they
mostly seem to save the old config first.

But it's anoying.