Re: XWindows locks solid - Gnome?

>Yes, I'm having similar issues--however, mine isn't a slow-motion deal.

>I can be moving the mouse or typing text and suddenly everything locks--
>including GKrellM and BubbleMon (if they don't, it's probably pan trying
>to kill a bunch of articles ;-).

That's a relief - I thought I must be going mad! Thanks for the key advice - I did spend most of Sunday in fsck hell! What's confusing me is, since these crashes started happening I have:

(i) Recompiled and upgraded my kernel several times.
(ii) Upgraded to XFree86 4.01.
(iii) Got a new graphics card (unrelated - it was going cheap!)
(iv) Compiled the latest gnome-core and gnome-libs
(v) Turned off all graphics acceleration just in case
(vi) Swapped window managers

If the machine just hung up or reset then that would be one thing - and I might start to suspect my hardware - but it's the slow collapse that frustrates me - as if a process were spinning out of control and consuming everything. But GkrellM says nothing and I still have plenty of memory left.

Interestingly, I ran X for a while without Gnome - just Enlightenment and it was fine, and althought that might have just been coincidence it increases my suspision that Gnome it at fault somewhere.

I'm off to sob quietly in the corner. It's enough to make me want to go back to Windows - at least I EXPECT that to crash all the time!

                 Andrew

| Andrew Williams   | andreww@pavilion.net  |
| Pavilion Internet | Systems Administrator |