suggestions (to make gnome the no1 desktop)

Hi,
I'm not a list member, and I don't have much knowledge of what the
future plan for gnome is. But anyway, here's my suggestions/requests:

1) A clipboard server. This is something every unix is missing. The
clipboard server should also manage dragging  and dropping. For example:
if one drags an address item from the addressbook to an texteditor, the
clipboard server should check what the address-app is able to deliver,
and then what the notepad is able to recieve. In this case the only
common data-type would be normal text, so the server would transfer a
text object. If you'd drag a piece from a spreadsheet to a wordprocessor
the user would have too choose between transfering data as an image or
just as text (if both apps is capable of sending/recieving image and
text data .. that is).

2) Improved save/open boxes. They don't look very nice right now, and
many lack the ability to do basic filemanaging

3) Better filetype handling by GMC. Instead of just a filetype-database,
the filetypes should be handleded by a filetypedatabase combined with an
application database. The filetype database provides information about
available filetypes and how to recognize them while the application
database provides information aboit available applications and what
filetypes they can read (text,image,sound, or whatever). When the user
right-clicks a file, let's say an image, an 'Open' meny would contain
all the applications able to open this file (in this case, ElectricEyes,
Gimp, Netscape, etc). I think every user have got several apps for every
filetype.

4) All dialogs (especially lists, which tend to be long) should be
accessed more easily with only keyboard. If one presses 'z' in a
listbox, the listbox would scroll to the first item beginning with z.

5) If you enter a path in the Run.. dialog, GMC would open a new window
with that path, if you type a file, the default-application should be
launched with that file.

Hope you'll find my thoughts interesting. :-)

Thanks for a nice desktop,anyway.
Regards,
Georgios