Re: Helix-update question

On Sat, 01 Jul 2000 05:48:38 Warren Young wrote:
> Kim Carter wrote:
> >
> > I also suffered the same problem - I'd like to know what mechanism
Helix-Update
> > uses to determine what is installed. Does it look to see whats in
> > /tmp/helix-install
>
> No, it probably uses the package manager's query function.  "Is
> gnome-core-1.2.1 installed?  No?  Okay, we'll install ours."  Whether it
> distinguishes Helix packages from others is a question I won't guess at.

I agree that this is what one would expect, but on this RH6.0 system, I'd
manually installed Helix Gnome just after 1.2 came out,ie D/L the individual
packages.

Then when libs 1.2.3 came out, used Helix-Update to D/L the latest
Helix-Update then used that to update ... and it D/L a whole load of stuff
I'd already installed (Helix RPMs). Bearing in mind I, and  the originator
of this thread did not previously use Helix-Install,I was looking for an
explanation why.

If it genuinely does ask the RPM database, and queries it simply did not work
-
which is why I asked for the list the 'Update' retrieves to give the actual
RPM
names so one could check. (And put it as 'Details' so those who neither know
nor care what aren't intimidated ...)

Maybe someone from Helix would care to give a guide as to how it is meant to
work? So I can discover I'm deluding myself or to give feedback to help them
make it work?

Cheers

Kim Carter