Esound: poor quality playback of certain wavfiles

Hi,

Certain wavfiles are played with very poor quality when played through
esound. I've experienced this with esdplay, xmms (with the esd plugin),
and timidity++ (which converts the midi files to wav). What I mean is,
there is a lot of distortion in the high frequency ranges. I've attached
a sample wav to show you what I mean. Try playing it through esdplay,
then try playing it with something that doesn't use esdplay (like the
play command that comes with Redhat)...what a difference! When I first
installed Mandrake, I was surprised at how crummy the wav files were
that came with the OS, but now I realize it's just esound that's
screwing them up somehow.

If it helps any, the 16-bit wav files that are shipped with KDE 1.1.2
don't exhibit this behavior. Just 8-bit wav files.

System:
Linux Mandrake 6.1
October GNOME (latest esound and audiofile releases)
Ensoniq AudioPCI soundcard (ES1370) with commercial OSS 3.9.3c.

Thanks in advance for any help you can contribute!

Andrew

what.wav