gnome panel disappear

Hi, all;
   I have installed Linux 6.0 using a Red Hat CD-ROM on my
machine which also runs Windows95. Everything worked fine at
first for about two weeks. I used GNOME for most of the time.
  However, one day when I restarted my machine, a dialog
appeared saying that I already had started and panel and gave me
two choices 1) Yes-- to start the penel without opening a new one.
2) No -- do not start a new one.
  Neither choice does me any good since there is no panel showing
on the screen. Each time after I run "startx", I have to push the
reset button to restart my computer, which  I know is not a good
thing to do but I have no choice since there is no panel for me to
work with. I don't have any xwindows to use for a while now. Has
anybody seen this and could give some hint? I appreciate any
input. Thanks much. Ziping.