Re: desktop shortcuts have no icons.

>  Whenever I compile gmc from source, all my desktop
>  icons change to the default white "unknown file" icon.
>
>  The bug can be reproduced by taking a plain Redhat 6.1
>  machine, upgrading gnome from source using
>
>  ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
>  make && make install
>
>  then grabing the source for gmc and ugrading using
>
>  ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
>  make && make install
>
>  What could be causing this problem?

Red Hat decided to make gnome-libs use db1 for its metadata storage.
However, if the gnome-libs detects db2 when you run the configure
script, it will use instead.  Unfortunately, db2 and db1 are not
compatible and the former will not read the database files from the
latter.

What you are seeing is that your existing metadata database is stored
with db1, because that is the one the original Red Hat Linux packages
were using, but your packages which are compiled with db2 cannot read
the database back.

If you delete your ~/.gnome/metadata.db and re-run gmc, it should be
fixed.  Unfortunately right now we have no way to convert a db1 file
into a db2 file.

  Federico