new user, gnome configuration, etc...

I am fairly new to GNOME and linux...well here are my questions.
And if it would be easier just to give me a link or place to find some
answers that would be great also.

I am very picky/anal about how my screen and menus etc look.  I was
wondering if there was a way to change the mainmenu for GNOME completely.
As I have found out :) the menu editor works for basic editing, but I want
more.  Since there are apparently many places GNOME looks for menuitems, how
do I configure this?  I want to edit my RedHat menus and know where/how/what
config I should change to fully edit GNOME so that it only shows what I
want.

Also about the desktop popupmenu :)  how do i change the New->... items and
what RecreateDefaultIcons makes.

One other thing about my cddrives.  Here's the situation.
If I allow linux to let device owners mount drives, then GNOME will
recognize cdrom0 and I can mount it as a user.  But I cannot mount cdrom1.
If I let linux let all users mount drives then GNOME sees my 2nd cddrive and
I can mount it using User Mount.  How do I correct this so that I don't need
user mounting, only device owner mounting?

Thankyou,
John

p.s.
this is a nice piece of work