File placement

Hi,

  Could anybody explain me, or point me to a document explaining, what the
prefered location when of installing software on a gnome system? Up until
now my program efforts has resulted in just a single binary, which a
naturally put in the /usr/local/bin/, but now I am working on a project
containing both an executable, a .glade, some .xml and a .lib files - and I
have no idea of where to put it! I could make an entry in /usr/local/ but
the how does other people find my lib and executable files?

   Regards, Jan...