Re: MacOS X first picture

John Sullivan <sullivan@eazel.com> writes:
> Can Sawmill/E themes include translucent menus and windows, alpha channel
> drop shadows, and video effects for window opening/closing?

Not a chance. :-)

It will be quite some time before we get an imaging model as good as
MacOS X into the X server. Some people are said to be working on it,
but it's a big job and will require applications to be recoded.  E
tries to do all kinds of crazy stuff and often succeeds but it's
fighting and torturing X all the way and it's inherently going to have
lots of limitations. No way to make it properly polished like MacOS X.

Of course we can do all this stuff _within_ an application using
libart or OpenGL or even Display PostScript, it's just that the X
design makes it quite infeasible for the desktop as a whole.

Havoc