GNOME UI Summary [Dec 2, 1999 - Jan 5, 2000]

This is the GNOME UI Summary for December 2, 1999 - January 5, 2000

  Table of Contents

 1)  File Types Proposal
 2)  Updated Redesigns
 3)  New UI Hit Squad Member

 1)  File Types Proposal

There is now a proposal for handling File Types from within
the GNOME File Manager, File Dialogs, etc. It covers how
the user will interact with File Types, how they will add,
modify, and delete them, and how they will add, modify, and
delete File Actions. This is very important, as it covers
(basically) everything that happens when a user double-clicks
on a file. More information is available at:

http://developer.gnome.org/gnome-ui/hitsquad/mime-types_1-3.html

For those of you who have been wondering, this is what the Hit
Squad has been doing for these past few weeks.

 2)  Updated Redesigns

There is an updated redesign of the GNOME Control Center
available at
http://developer.gnome.org/gnome-ui/hitsquad/control-center.html
This implements the Control Center's role in File Types, adds
a Placeholder pane (for when no capplet is loaded), and
implements the new Global Panel properties available in CVS
HEAD gnome-core. Unfortunately, the size of the window has
been increased to 630x475 to accomodate this, and thus will no
longer easily fit on a 640x480 screen (since window borders
are not taken into account in that size).

There is also a minor update to the redesign of GnomeICU
available at
http://developer.gnome.org/gnome-ui/hitsquad/gnomeicu.html
This modifies the Incoming Message dialog to include a "Reply"
pane.

 3)  New UI Hit Squad Member

The UI Hit Squad has a new member, J. Adam Mays. This brings
the current roster to

James M. Cape <jcape@jcinteractive.com>
David C. Mason <dcm@redhat.com>
sungod <sungod@atdot.org>
Michael Gratton <mike@vee.net>
David Santiago <mrcooger@cyberverse.com>
J. Adam Mays <President@KnightEclipse.com>

Obviously, there is a long way to go, so send in those
feature requests, patches, and ideas.

P.S. I am again sorry it took so long to get this out, finals,
two moves, Christmas, New Years, and a protracted discussion
on MIME-Types are my excuses this time around (I *will* release
regular bi-weekly reports from now on :-)).

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
     pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
        -- Winston Churchill