ppp problems

This is going to be my last post under this user name as I am changing jobs

I have had several problems with setting up ppp connections as a user. I
just want to post the following two comments for anyone else

I use RH6.1/gnome which could well be fairly typical

I finally solved my problem by altering permissions on /etc/resolv.conf from
0660 to0664. (ie no read access for users other than root)

Problems in finding this out were

1. RH sets up permissions like this which are not what you want (you don't
want to root when accessing the net)

2. The permissions dialogue in gmc showed rw permission for users on my
/etc/resolv.conf despite the 0660 permissions. I think this should be
corrected. It caused me loads of work.

3. I have a suspicion netcfg is now broken as it doesn't seem to work

I am still subscribed to the list as mike@redtux.demon.co.uk

cheers

This email and any files transmitted with it are private and intended
If you have received this email in error please return it to the address
it came from telling them it is not for you and then delete it from your system.

This email message has been swept for computer viruses.