Re: Request: Test suite for EFS.

For the 'average' user, the EFS files are just going to be another
proprietary binary file format, they are not going to care that it is a
filesystem within a file. Someone will eventually want to send an email
with their spiffy new spreadsheet that shows the question to the answer
to the universe, life, and everything as an attachment. A directory
would make this very frustrating for this user as this user is just
going to select the "document", send the email, and get a response from
the recipient that the email contained nothing.

EFS has advantages over the other proposed formats in that it will be
time efficient in saving/loading, but filesystems in a file have the
disadvantage of occasionally have ununsed spots where things have been
replaced but the replacement wouldn't fit, disks are big though, and
most of these dead spots can be minimized. I like the idea of providing
utilities to extract the data, and yes, if we used the zip format, this
would be done for us, but zip does not handle dead space as efficiently
as possible, in fact not really at all, and I'm not really sure this
tasks requires the compression, or would even really provide sufficient
benifit from having the compression given that one of the objectives is
to provide a mechanism to tie images and other pre-compressed things to
documents.

Just my two cents.

TTFN
MikeB

Application development is a race between software engineers who
try to create fool proof programs and the universe which is trying to
develop superior fools.

	So far, the universe is winning.
	Let's not give it any help...