Panel probs with g-c 1.1.4

Hi all,

Since compiling and installing gnome-core 1.1.4 and gnome-applets 1.1.4
I have had probs with the panel. I am getting the same symptoms decribed
recently to the stable branch of those packages. To build, I used the
.spec files within the archives.

I start gnome, which is being run with the most recent release of
enlightenment, and no panel appears. I use the window manager to start a
panel and a dialogue comes up telling me there's already a panel running
[though it may have started right then] and would it like me to start
another. If I say no the message pops up again and again, and if I say
yes it starts my panel, though sometimes it crashes the applets I have
running (asclock, gnomeicu, slash).

When I installed I nuked my .gnome, .gnome_private, and .gnome-desktop
directories.

Is there some lock file I should be looking for somewhere which is
leading making gnome-session think it is already running a panel? Any
other pointers would be great.

Best regards,
Paul Dorman.