Dreams and nightmare

Yes, gnome is a wonderfull product.
But as an administrator you can get some problems.
Démonstration:
Suppose you want to prepare an environnement for your users
for window maker and gnome without changing the system config
( I mean the default config in the install directory)
Your create a user on a machine; say testigu , and configure it.
After you make a an archive of .gtkrc, GNUstep and gnome*.
In the user's home you de-archive.
and you remark :
1) every lancher icon in the panel is referenced by the physical mount
point.
suppose you have machine:/gnome mounted on /mp/machine/gnome and a link
on you machine /gnome --> /mp/machine/gnome.
When you browse for an icon, if you go through /gnome, you will get
/mp/machine/gnome.

---------
$ grep taverne Applet_Config
pixmap=/montages/taverne/disk1/export/sun4,5.6/gnu,2000/wm.v2/share/WindowMaker/Icons/Netsurfer.xpm
I had a link from /app/gnu -->
/montages/taverne/disk1/export/sun4,5.6/gnu,2000
and  I choosed the icones using the path using /app/gnu

a) why does it follow the mount path and not the link path ?
b) Why can't we change icon location as in window maker
Is there a GNOME_ICON_DIR (we can manage as the path var) I didn't see ?
This is a real problem, as I can't change the physical mount point from
one machine
to an other if I need.

2) in the applet config file, every reference to other files, under the
$HOME/.gnome is in absolute path and containing the name of the user.
This means:
a) a user can't copy from an other user
b) you can't change the location of the user's home directory
Why ?
It's usual to use the $HOME variable
3) we are someones to use an other langage than 'en'. Personnally, I can
use
'fr' (maybe you guess it..:-) ) or 'en' depending on my task.
------
In Applet file you can find :
/export/home/testigu/.gnome/panel.d/default
$ grep ISO Applet_9.desktop
Name[en.ISO8859-1]=xemacs
Comment[en.ISO8859-1]=xemacs
------
If your LANG variable is 'fr', you get nothing in the panel (theses
launchers where
behind a drawer)

I will be happy if I miss something and you can correct me.
JRC

--
Nur der kleine Geist hält Ordnung, das Genie beherrscht das Chaos.
Seuls les petits esprits aiment l'ordre, le génie maitrîse le chaos.