internationalization in GNOME/GTK+

I don't know if this is the right list for this, but:

Can someone explain a bit more about how internationalization in GNOME
and GTK+ works? I've read the FAQs and reference manuals on
www.gnome.org and www.gtk.org, but they don't seem to address the
relevant issues from a developer's view-point. For instance, how exactly
do I write the code for, say, a menu button whose text may be localized?
Also, can I internationalize other information, like the button's
accelerator? And what are the equivalents, if any, to Xt/Xm app-default
files, anyway?
--
Toralf Lund <toralf@kscanners.no>   +47 66 85 51 22
Kongsberg Scanners AS               +47 66 85 51 00 (switchboard)