Gnome screwing up cd drive.

Mon Feb 21 16:02:24 PST 2000

Hi,

Recently we've begun offering gnome in our computer lab (Redhat 6.1,
i386).  A lot of the students have started using it and they like it.
Unfortunately, whenever a student runs gnome it does something to the
cdrom device /dev/hdc.  No one can use it.  Both xplaycd and cdp fail to
read the drive.  Cdparanoia gives the following error:

	/dev/cdrom exists but isn't accessible.  By default,
	cdparanoia stops searching for an accessible drive here.
	Consider using -s to force a more complete autosense
	of the machine.

	More information about /dev/cdrom:
	Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
		Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
			Unable to open /dev/hdc: Wrong medium type
		Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
			/dev/cdrom is not a SCSI device

The permissions on the device are fine as are the major and minor node
numbers.  Interestingly the only program that seems able to access the
drive when it is in this state is gtcd.  A reboot fixes the problem
until someone runs gnome again.  Can someone help me out here?  Thanks,

Albert

--
Albert Schueller                                 Department of Mathematics
Office Phone:  509-527-5140                      Whitman College