MTU

In Windows OS we create a key in the registry. It is in the tcp/ip section
under local_host_keys. This key gives us the ability to browse the major
sites like Compaq. The reason we have to do this is because of the way are
network is setup. I think Compaq puts a limit of some kind that forces
connections to transmit and receive depending on your connection. I could be
wrong. I need to do put the MTU on my Linux box so that I can browse the
internet sites like Compaq. Were would you put the MTU key in Linux ?