Re: How do I stop Gnome looking for IP address on boot-up?

On 17 Feb 00, at 11:37, Elliot Lee wrote:

Date forwarded: 	17 Feb 2000 16:39:10 -0000
Date sent:      	Thu, 17 Feb 2000 11:37:26 -0500 (EST)
From:           	Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com>
To:             	Phillip Deackes <p.deackes@gmx.net>
Copies to:      	gnome-list@gnome.org
Subject:        	Re: How do I stop Gnome looking for IP address on boot-up?
Forwarded by:   	gnome-list@gnome.org

> On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Phillip Deackes wrote:
>
> > Hi. I am using Gnome on a Debian Potato system. I connect to the
> > Internet using a dial-up modem and Gnome attempts to do a DNS
> > search on my hostname at bootup and complains because it
> > cannot resolve my hostname.
> >
> > What can I do to stop this happening?
>
> Put an entry in /etc/hosts for your hostname (like you should have ;-)

That was one of the first things I ever did when I installed Linux!!!!!!

My system knows my hostname. Nothing else, apart from Gnome
has a problem with it. I am convinced it is a 'Gnome Thing'. Gnome
appears to be rying to resolve an IP address for my hostname. I do
log on to an IP with dynamic addresssing, so my host is configured
as 0.0.0.0. Maybe this is the problem?

--
Phillip Deackes