RE: using the panel to uninstall packages.

> Turning the Launcher into a one-stop place for running, configuring, and
> removing an application might be a pretty good idea. Having users
> accidentally remove a program shouldn't be a major problem for Linux, since
> users shouldn't have the permissions to do that anyway.

Of course the "de-install package from system.." menu item would not work
without the root password.  Potentially this could confuse a new person
trying to install packages.  Perhaps one should connotate a new name for
the root password "install password" or something like that.  (or they
better learn some new phrases. :-)

Why can't we use some sort of kerberos authentication where one could use
a token (like in AFS) which will allow you to do such things.  Or maybe
have a pre-configured sudo that will allow software installation in the
/usr tree?

	sri