Re: small panel

On Fri, Feb 11, 2000 at 06:19:07AM +0000 or thereabouts, Chase Granberry wrote:
> I've been checking out some screen shots lately and ive noticed some people
> have shorter, or smaller panels, and panel icons.  I can't seem to figure it
> out.  Any hints would be appreciated.

Well, apart from the fact that the panel looks a lot fatter on small
(640x480) screens and a lot thinner on bigger screens, it's likely
that the people with the more variable panels are running the
gnome-core-1.1.2 and gnome-applets-1.1.2 packages that were announced
on gnome-list (I forget when) and Gnotices (scroll down to around
Jan 29th at http://news.gnome.org/gnome-news/ ).

They're advertised as unstable rather than stable. Be warned :) But
I haven't crashed them totally yet (which is quite a testament, I
regret to admit): I found a way to kill the panel, but it comes back
(wow!) and a way to crash my window manager by changing themes, but
that came back, too.

A lot of the panel/preferences things have been enhanced. It might
be a bit confusing briefly because some of the menu layouts and where
things live have been rearranged, but it makes more sense this way.
And one of the many new abilities is the choice of how large you
want your icons on your panel(s) to be: there's five possibilities...

Easy to install if you have tarballs: the gnome-core package has a
specfile for rpm-making; but I had to find and try about five specfiles
for gnome-applets before I found one which worked successfully. It
is out there, but where it came from I forget. Sorry :(

Telsa