rpm'ing ORBit 0.5.0 difficulties

Ok, i have little experience with rpm, so this is the most likely culprit here.

I can ungzip, untar, configure, make, and install ORBit 0.5.0.

However, when I try to do:

rpm -tb ORBit-0.5.0.tar.gz

I get:

File /home/hoyle/gnome/libIDL-0.6.8.tar.gz: No such file or directory.

So, I ungzipped ORBit, copied libIDL to libIDL-0.6.8, tar'd, gzipped
the result into the appropriate path.

Now, if I try to do the rpm command again, it goes ahead and makes an
rpm for libIDL, but never makes an ORBit one.

I'm guessing I need to muck around in the orbit.spec file, but my
crude attempts at it have not met with any success.

This would all go away if I could figure out how to make an rpm out
of a directory that has already been compiled, but that's another
story.

So, can anyone out there send me a clue-stick?

thanks,

r.