Warning: inter-library dependencies are not known to be supported

First, let me say I'm sorry, for I am sure this had to have been brought
up on the list before, but I cannot find it in the archives (perhaps I'm
not searching it correctly/effeciently?)

At any rate, when I compile gtk-engines, I cet the following messages:

*** Warning: inter-library dependencies are not known to be supported.
*** All declared inter-library dependencies are being dropped.

*** Warning: libtool could not satisfy all declared inter-library
*** dependencies of module libpixmap.  Therefore, libtool will create
*** a static module, that should work as long as the dlopening
*** application is linked with the -dlopen flag.

I'm not really sure what this all means (maybe someone could explain it in
more detail?) but I know that I'm going to need shared libs for libpixmap
for themes and various other things.  TMK, static libs wont work.  So what
do I need to do here?

Thank you for your time and support...

--
Josh Emmons